Saturday, April 21, 2007

Live Each Day To Its Fullest


I just finished watching the final episode of Six Feet Under, Season 1 last night. I'd already seen it before but I was working my way through it again, just for the hell of it. The show is genius, and intensely moving all the way through. Watch it if you haven't had the chance.

The thing I like the most about the show is that it always makes you think. "Six Feet Under" has a few messages that it tries to get across but I think there's one overarching moral to the whole series: Life is precious and you can lose yours at any moment. Enjoy it while you have it, and make every day matter.

I was reminded of this message when I read a Dailykos entry today. Dailykos' user "manpantsula," who's a professor at Virginia Tech, wrote a powerful piece in response to Dinesh D'Souza's claim that atheist's can't deal with the problem of evil:

"I know that brutal death can come unannounced into any life, but that we should aspire to look at our approaching death with equanimity, with a sense that it completes a well-walked trail, that it is a privilege to have our stories run through to their proper end. I don’t need to live forever to live once and to live completely. It is precisely because I don’t believe there is an afterlife that I am so horrified by the stabbing and slashing and tattering of so many lives around me this week, the despoliation and ruination of the only thing each of us will ever have."

Interesting and profound stuff. Click here to read the entire piece.

No comments: