Tuesday, July 31, 2007

God Answers Prayer of Paralyzed Little Boy

Found this old gem from Reddit (I think) today. It was written 9 years ago, yet somehow, still seems just as biting today:

God Answers Prayers Of Paralyzed Little Boy

The Onion

God Answers Prayers Of Paralyzed Little Boy

SAN FRANCISCO-Timmy Yu's dream came true Monday, when the Lord responded to his plea with a resounding no.

The story is about how God answered the prayers of a paralyzed boy, who asked to be healed and walk again. His answer? "No."

The story is characteristically heartbreaking and over the top:
"I knew that if I just prayed hard enough, God would hear me," said the joyful Timmy, surrounded by stuffed animals sent by well-wishing Christians from around the globe, as he sat in the wheelchair to which he will be confined for the rest of his life. "And now my prayer has been answered. I haven't been this happy since before the accident, when I could walk and play with the other children like a normal boy."
I'm not exactly sure what the article is satirizing. Christians unshakable belief in the power of prayer? Belief in the fact that God will answer prayer? Or maybe just the belief that God has compassion on children in pain?

Of course, the veracity of these beliefs has and always will be questioned. But the fact of the matter is that God doesn't heal a lot of helpless kids who ask for it. Is this evidence that there is no God? I don't think so. But neither do I think that the fact that some kids are randomly "healed" indicates that God does exist. I disagree with those that suggest that prayer can heal all things, all diseases...or at least, that we can know when it has. There is so much good in the world and so much bad; I give God credit for all or none of it, but not just the good.

The Onion is one of those newspapers that could make you laugh...if you weren't crying.

No comments: