Monday, October 01, 2007

The Virtuosity of Michel Camilo

I saw something that blew me away over the weekend: Michel Camilo playing his self-written piece, "Caribe" on the piano. The level of talent on display, both in terms of technical skill and songwriting, left my jaw hanging and my heart beating. Camilo is apparently classically trained, in addition to being a jazz musician and I think those sensibilities show through. This Youtube video will give you some idea of how freaking amazing this man's hands were, as well as his ability to improvise at lightning-fast speed and still make it sound great:


Click here for the video

From the video's description:

June 18, 1993. From the 40th anniversary of the Newport Jazz Festival, held in a tent on the lawn of the White House. Bill Clinton is the one who starts the standing ovation at the end.

No comments: